Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quilt, name tags and family trees

Here is a photo of my quilt. It's not the full quilt but you can see a good portion of it.



Since we are such a large family we make name tags every time, just so we know which branch you belong to as a lot of the kids look alike. In 2008 the theme was kites as we were in Lincoln City - home to the kite festival. Each branch of the original family has a color. People wrote in their own names and how ever they wanted to decorate it.



I also do up a family tree. Just so people can see all the branches.. This year I had the idea of making it three dimensional. I was going to string rope between the poles below and hang the kites off so they could blow in the wind. Well let me tell you there was not a flat space to be found in this park and it just didn't work. So we got the idea to string the robe around the covering and hang them from there. At the end of the line we put the family pole so they new who was who. Thanks to my brother and brother -in -law for putting put the string. Everyone loved it.

I don't have a photo of it but at the end of the far end of the covering - i tried to make flag bunting with the family name. It worked OK but i used construction paper so it didn't quite look like what i had in mind but it worked with the change of plans.
There will be another reunion in 2010 here in the Portland area.. and then in 2012 I will plan one for a Lincoln city weekend.




No comments:

My latest finish in Cross Stitching 12-29-2020

  American Promenade by  Annie Beez Folk Art Fabric   18 count Adia Hand dyed by Fabrics by LJ in the Willow Tree colorway. Using all the ca...